Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Almond Tree in Flower


Il mandorlo in fiore - sounds beautiful in Italian. This started as a quick impression in my sketchbook but ended up rather tighter than I intended. Difficult to capture the blossom against a pale watercolour sky. I ended up adding a little Gouache.
Have you seen Van Gogh's oil painting Peach trees in blossom? Beautiful. I'm tempted to try this almond tree in acrylic in the VVG style but not sure that I should be distracted by acrylics again at this stage.

We finally got our Italian driver's licenses yesterday! It only took five months! Even more reason to beware on the Italian roads ;)

6 comments:

Lisa B. said...

This is beautiful. I think it even looks Van Gogh-y! Gosh I'd love to look through your sketchbook!

mARTa said...

Questo e molto bello Robyn! Mi piace gli colori e the clothes hanging on the laundry line. Honestly, the blossoms on the tree do not over power the scene of the town in the background. The treee drew me into the town where the laundry line was a fun surprise! (We don't hang laundry here). And thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you liked my blood orange paintng. marta

Robyn Sinclair said...

Lisa, thank you for visiting and commenting. And what lovely comments.

Marta - Thank you so much and well done with the Italian! I'm shamed by how little I speak for the amount of time we've been here. Hopefully I'll get on with it now I don't have to study Italian Road Rules anymore!
This is the first painting I've included laundry in. I find it fun too.

Anonymous said...

A lovely tree, Robyn!

Joan said...

Robyn, This is so typically Italian with the laundry hanging. It does resemble Van Gogh's painting. Nice job! Congratulations on your driver's license! Bravo!!!

Joan T

Robyn Sinclair said...

Thank you, Karen both for calling in and commenting. You are an inspiration!

Joan - Thanks. Subtle as the VVG influence is, spending a month studying him was fantastic and I know I will go back to him often.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...